The Digestive System Shirt

The digestive system is an imperative part of the human body that holds many roles in helping maintain equilibrium. The four primary functions of the digestive system include ingestion, digestion, absorption, and defecation. Ingestion includes the intake of nutrients, digestion includes the breakdown of larger molecules in smaller ones, absorption …

Benefits of Breast Feeding to Mother and Child

My STEAM Project was on how mothers and babies benefit from this natural process, breast feeding.  I really enjoyed learning about lactation and how important it was for children, but thought it would be interesting to learn how mothers benefit from this experience as well.  I discuss how essential breast …

Necrosis: The Last Song of a Dying Cell

Necrosis is one of the pathways of the cell death, during which the cell’s lysosomes rupture, releasing hydrolase enzymes. Using a baking soda model of a eukaryotic cell and a vinegar filled “lysosome” the process of liquefaction necrosis is shown. This video, set to Frank Sinatra’s “My Way”, shows the …

A look into erythrocyte destruction in Hereditary Spherocytosis

This project covers the objective: Describe disorders of blood and how they can be treated I was born with Hereditary Spherocytosis which is a condition that effects my red blood cell structure. Normal red blood cells are shaped like biconcave discs which allow for more flexible movement. This is important …

Marijuana Smoke Exposure and the Respiratory System

My STEAM project is titled, “Prolonged Marijuana Smoke Exposure and Respiratory Health”, and it is centered around an article published by researchers that conducted an 8 week experiment on groups of mice involving marijuana inhalation. The group of researchers exposed mice to marijuana twice a day, for five days a …