Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

I chose the topic on carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS) because it’s a personal struggled. I’ve been dealing with this issue for about two years, and finally getting surgery next month for carpal tunnel release. I was a waitress for many years, played volleyball, does yoga, and my mother also suffered from CTS, so all of these factors contributed to my CTS. Carpal tunnel syndrome is a common musculoskeletal disorder arises from the compression of the median nerve as it passes through the carpal tunnel in the wrist. When the median nerve is compressed, the symptom can include numbness and tingling in the fingers, burning pain in the wrist, reduction in grip strength and hand weakness.

One Comment

1. You did a fantastic job representing the anatomy of the hand to include the carpal tunnel in the wrist, the median nerve, flexor tendons, carpal bones, and transverse ligaments. I found it interesting that it effects more women than men and that repetitive work can increase your likelihood of getting carpal tunnel.
    I like that you chose to do a project on something that is personal to you. My mom also suffered from carpal tunnel, she used to cry in pain at night. It didn’t seem to bother her as much during the day, which seems to be normal for this condition. She had the surgery years ago and no longer suffers from the pain, swelling and numbness.

Erica Ojala

Comments are closed.