One Comment

1. My abstract will be on Luke Davis’ project which consists of visual art drawings of the muscles of the lower leg. Mr. Davis goes into great detail in his drawings and diagrams of the lower leg and he is very thorough. He begins with the deep muscles of the right lower leg posterior view—detailing the locations of major muscles including the popliteus, the fibularis longus, the tibialis posterior, and the flexor digitorum longus to name a few. In the next diagram, Mr. Davis takes a look at the superficial muscles of the right lower leg to include the gastrocnemius muscles, the plantaris, and the soleus. In the following diagram, he changes the direction of the view of the muscles from the posterior view to the anterior view. In the next diagram, Mr. Davis details the bones of the lower leg that give structure to the musculature—namely, the tibia, fibula, and patella—as well as the ligaments that secure the patella and the surrounding muscles. After diagramming the specific muscles, tendons, ligaments, and bones of the lower leg, Mr. Davis then begins to describe through his diagrams the common ailments of these areas. He first diagrams the common locations of shin splints. In the next drawing, he shows the typical inflammation areas of the Achilles tendon. Finally, he describes through his drawings, a very common runner’s injury that I have experienced, the calf strain and the various stages and gradients therein. I feel like Mr. Davis’ drawings were very thorough and it certainly solidified—as well as added to—my understanding of the musculature and ailments of the lower leg.

Jesse Pfeffer

Comments are closed.