Thalassemia

Thalassemia is a hereditary blood disorder, where the body does not produce enough hemoglobin. These blood cells cannot always function properly, and the body has difficulty oxygenating the tissues. There are different types of thalassemia, and severity varies. Some people show no symptoms, while others develop anemia, and need regular …

STEAM Project-Cardiac Tamponade/ Pericardial Tamponade

Cardiac/pericardial tamponade is when the pericardial sac fills with fluid from infection or trauma. This project is a model of how the heart has a hard time filling with blood due to the fluid in the pericardial sac. The blue bowl is the pericardial sac, the water represents the fluid, …

Immunity

My STEAM piece is on the learning objective “Describe how immunity can be acquired through passive and active means.” This was a very intriguing unit for me – the lymphatic and immune system – because it is constantly defending our bodies, but often goes unnoticed. I decided to demonstrate the …

Crohn’s disease

Crohn’s disease is an inflammatory bowel disease that affects the lining of the digestive tract. Symptoms include diarrhea, nausea, fatigue, loss of appetite, weight loss, blood in stool, fevers, severe stomach pain, and sores in the mouth. The areas with red circles show the areas that are inflamed when Crohn’s …