I chose to write about Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis because one of the most impressionable patients I have had has been a little girl who has JIA (Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis). I can remember the pain in her eyes and how scared she was. The weekly flights to give her the injections she needs to help manage the pain. How she would rather suffer daily than endure the burning of the injections. I have watched as she had grown into a beautiful teenager and how she enjoys life to the fullest, because she knows what it’s like to suffer daily and not be able to do the things she loves. So, what is juvenile idiopathic arthritis?   Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis is characterized by inflammation of the joints that cause pain, swelling, stiffness and loss of motion.  

I also have a video that I made. The website will not let me add it. If you are interested in seeing it, please message me on Slack (Erica Ojala).

One Comment

1. Nice drawing and very creative with the marshmallow illustration between the joints in your video. Your drawing made so much sense after learning about connective tissues, bones, cartilages, joints, etc. It’s amazing how much chaos an inflammation can cause in the body. Who knew a little swelling can be so harmful! Inflammation in the brain can kill you, and inflammation in the synovial joint can affect the quality of life. It’s even worst that this condition is in children. Juvenile idiopathic arthritis and synovial joints is painful and can impact bone development, joints, ligaments, muscles and internal organs.

Jutathip M. Chapman