Necrosis: The Last Song of a Dying Cell

Necrosis is one of the pathways of the cell death, during which the cell’s lysosomes rupture, releasing hydrolase enzymes. Using a baking soda model of a eukaryotic cell and a vinegar filled “lysosome” the process of liquefaction necrosis is shown. This video, set to Frank Sinatra’s “My Way”, shows the …

Multiple Sclerosis

Multiple sclerosis is a chronic neurological disease that has an unknown cause. This disease specifically effects the central nervous system that leads to axonal loss and demyelination in both white and grey matter of the spinal cord and brain. I have a family member that suffers from this disease and …

The Integumentary System Functions: Chessboard

The integumentary system comprises the skin, hair, nails, sweat glands, and sebaceous gland and its appendages acting to protect the body from various damage, such as loss of water or damage from outside organisms, and pathogens. All five will work together simultaneously to stop the body from being infected and …

A look into erythrocyte destruction in Hereditary Spherocytosis

This project covers the objective: Describe disorders of blood and how they can be treated I was born with Hereditary Spherocytosis which is a condition that effects my red blood cell structure. Normal red blood cells are shaped like biconcave discs which allow for more flexible movement. This is important …

Marijuana Smoke Exposure and the Respiratory System

My STEAM project is titled, “Prolonged Marijuana Smoke Exposure and Respiratory Health”, and it is centered around an article published by researchers that conducted an 8 week experiment on groups of mice involving marijuana inhalation. The group of researchers exposed mice to marijuana twice a day, for five days a …