Manufacturing Cardiac Tissue

For my STEAM project I decided to take a deeper look into cardiac tissue. Through my research I found something that was super interesting. Scientists have made significant advancements in replacement heart tissue research over the past couple years. The art project I decided on was a replica of cardiac tissue with a bit of a twist. The cardiac tissue is broken up into puzzle pieces. I decided on this design because I believe in an abstract way, it represents my research beautifully. The cardiac tissue looks indiscernible from the real thing (or at least it is supposed to/would if I were an artist) except for the representation of puzzle pieces. This is used to show the viewer that it was manufactured and put together by scientist and did not occur naturally in the body.

Also, I am not sure why my picture is embedded as a link but i cannot seem to fix it.

One Comment

1. My partner, Josh, did his STEAM project on cardiac tissue, with an emphasis on how scientists are researching how to create viable cardiac tissue in a lab. In his project, Josh described the process for creating cardiac tissue that can be used when natural heart tissue is not available (which, in the medical community, is more common than you’d think). Before reading his abstract, I wasn’t aware of how far the medical community has advanced in terms of newer technology that can be used to help patients all around the world, but his STEAM project helped me realize the incredible advances in this community. Josh did a great job describing how cardiac tissue, with the manmade tissue, fits together like puzzle pieces while making sure to include the fundamental components of the tissue.

The artistic component of Josh’s STEAM project shows cardiac tissue as puzzle pieces. Originally, I thought it was just depicting how tissue is made to fit together, but after looking a bit closer, I realized it showed how manmade cardiac tissue can be made to fit perfectly, like a puzzle. Ultimately, after seeing his project, it was clear what the objectives Josh was trying to achieve were, and he achieved them without a hitch.

Madeline Goss