My project is on adolescent idiopathic scoliosis (AIS). The art piece depicts a normal spine, an S-curve, and a C-curve. In my essay, I relate AIS to the following objectives: know the stages of bone development and repair (U4); describe movement of bone using proper terminology (U4); know the parts of bone and their shape (U4); describe the movement of bones using proper terminology (U5); relate the interaction of muscles to the skeletal system (U5); compare and contrast the peripheral and central nervous system (U6).

One Comment

1. ABSTRACT: Kate’s STEAM project covers the unit topic: know the stages of bone development and repair and know the parts of bone and their shape. She takes this topic and dives into what scoliosis is, who can develop the condition, and the various forms of scoliosis that can take place. She begins her essay by explaining what the spine and the spinal cord are and why they are important to the human body, providing many of its important functions. She defines scoliosis as the “abnormal curvature of the spine,” then goes in deeper about how there are two classifications of scoliosis, idiopathic (no definite cause) or non-idiopathic. She explains how spines have a natural curve along the sagittal plane, but curvature along the coronal plane is less common, and when this curvature exceeds 10 degrees it is classified as scoliosis.
    Her project is primarily focused on idiopathic scoliosis, which accounts for 80% of scoliosis cases. Specifically in adolescence, this disorder can occur any time between 10 through skeletal maturity, often progressing with growth spurts though there are cases of curve progression after skeletal maturity, primarily in women. Kate explains in her essay that scoliosis can develop into many different types of curves. As shown in her drawings, there are two main curvatures: S-curves and C-curves. Both types of these curves can occur in different regions of the spine and can misshapen other parts of the body such as the rib cage (as depicted in the art piece), causing problems in a person’s posture.

Cailyn Harbison

Comments are closed.