I created a watercolor booklet of the brain lobes for my project. I thought this was really interesting because our brain essentially makes us who we are and controls what we do. Throughout the booklet, I highlighted which region of the brain is active during certain activities or everyday tasks.

One Comment

1. The nervous system is one of the systems in the human body. Lauren’s STEAM Project is a watercolor booklet focusing on important components and key structures of the nervous system. Specifically, it aims to look at the brain, along with the cranium or skull. The brain has control over many functions like emotion, touch, memory, to name a few. It is being protected by the skull and contains the bones needed to protect the different lobes of the brain. These lobes are: frontal, parietal, occipital, temporal, and cerebellum. Her project looked at these regions and highlighted several of their actions during everyday tasks.

Among these lobes, the frontal lobe is the largest, and not surprisingly, is involved in many functions. Some of its functions include motor skills and voluntary movements. It is also quite active during problem-solving and recalling related information to solve it. Another is the parietal lobe. It is associated with anything related to a sense of touch. Our previous experiment involving the two-point calliper was one example of this function. The smallest of the lobes, the occipital lobe, is involved in visual perception. An example would be catching a baseball and trying to visualize and determine how far to throw it back in return. In addition, this lobe tries to provide connections among images and their respective meanings. Another lobe is the temporal lobe with its main function being to process information and put it into storage. This might be quite useful if we are studying and relying on previously learned information. Lastly, the cerebellum is in charge of some sort of movement like catching a football and throwing it with your dominant hand.

Lauren has summed up all these lobes as well as their respective functions making it easier for us to recognize (and appreciate) these structures in our head. Not as nerve-wracking as I thought!

Joshua Dobbs

Comments are closed.