My STEAM project is about genu valgum, also known as knock knees. Knock knees are a condition in which a person has a gap between their feet when they’re standing with their knees together. Many young children have knock knees and they are a normal part of development. However, some severe cases can lead to knee pain, a limp, or difficulty walking. Knock knees can also lead to child obesity and arthritis. I drew a skeleton proportionate to myself if I had severe knock knees as an adult. This life-size representation should help people visualize the skeletal deformation.

One Comment

1. My partner is Helena “Grace” Miller.
    Grace did her STEAM project over the “Effects of gene Valgum (knock knees)” She goes over the effects, the causes, and treatment.
    It is a condition in which a person has a gap between their feet when they’re standing with their knees together. Children have his often because they are still developing. There are some sever cases that can lead to knee pain, and arthritis. She has a skeleton drawing as you can see above, that give a great visual aid. 
Many children have knock knees but their legs eventually straighten out by age 6 or 7. Knock knees helps children maintain their balance, so it’s a helpful part of development.
    Grace states that knock knees doesn’t usually cause problems, although sever cases may cause knee pain, a limp, difficulty walking, or significant gait problems. Since knock knees puts extra pressure on your knees it can also lead to an increased risk of development arthritis.
    Grace mentions treatment, such as, physical therapy, chiropractic, special shoes, vitamins, and bracing. Surgery is rarely necessary, although if the condition is sever enough, it could be recommended. If surgery is needed, they place small metal plates inside of the knees, which helps correct their growth over a period of time. The plates will be removed once the treatment is complete.
    Overall, Grace did a great job on this assignment. She explained it very well, and her format and visual aid was phenomenal.

Megan

Comments are closed.