For my project I wrote about psoriasis. Psoriasis is an autoimmune disease that causes inflammation, along with dry scales of skin. Psoriasis is due to an error with T cells. Psoriasis can also have innate or adaptive immunity in which depends on the abundance of neutrophils and that all affects how often someone’s psoriasis occurs. For my art piece, I have an outline of two people with psoriasis, more specifically plaque psoriasis. Normally psoriasis appears as red patches with flaky white scales on the skin. Instead of the usual psoriasis colors, I made the inflamed patches orange and the scales purple. I used those colors, since the psoriasis awareness ribbon colors are orange and purple. I wanted to show awareness for psoriasis in my piece, which I represented with the colors. Psoriasis patches can be in different sizes and can affect any part of the body, which is shown in my art piece.

One Comment

1. Psoriasis is a chronic autoimmune disease with no cure that affects the skin, and in most cases causes red inflamed patches with white scales anywhere on the body. Psoriasis is caused by white blood cells, more specifically t-cell lymphocytes, maintaining high levels after an infection and producing the IL-17 protein. The IL-17 protein contributes to inflammation, which appears on the skin as red, inflamed patches.
    There are two types of psoriasis. The first type is caused by an innate immunity and causes flare-ups of psoriasis rashes that are more painful and harder to manage. In this type the numbers of T-cells and neutrophils become extremely high for a period of time causing a flare-up, and then subside causing a clearing up of the skin. The second type of psoriasis is caused by an adaptive immune response. In this type, a person will have chronic and stable symptoms that do not go away. This is caused by the constant presence of neutrophils and T-cells.
    There are many different types of psoriasis: plaque, scalp, inverse, nail, guttate, pustular, and erythrodermic psoriasis. Plaque is the most common type, and involves the symptoms of red inflamed skin with white flaky patches. The cause of psoriasis can be from many factors, including the environment, stress, genes, and physical health.

Gwen