Drawing of how the connective tissue is affected by EDS

In this STEAM project, I will be discussing the Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome and how this syndrome affects the connective tissue.  I will be also talking about some information about Ehler-Danlos syndrome for some background information.   Ehlers-Danlos Syndromes (EDS) is a group of inherited disorders that affects the connective tissue.  Connective tissue is a tissue that protects, supports, and gives structure to other tissues and organs of the body. 

By: Sarah Thompson

One Comment

1. This as an exceptional read, however not many people know that EDS is now classified into 13 subgroups, according to a revised classification released in 2017. (see reference) Other variations of the illness may occur, although they are exceedingly rare and poorly understood. The indications and symptoms of EDS can range from minimally loose joints to life-threatening issues, depending on the kind. Joint hypermobility and smooth, velvety skin that is very elastic (stretchy) and bruises readily are characteristics shared by several varieties. EDS can be caused by mutations in a number of genes; however, in some families, the underlying genetic reason is unclear. EDS can be inherited in an autosomal dominant or autosomal recessive fashion, depending on the subtype. EDS has no particular treatment.
    The goal of EDS therapy and management is to avoid major consequences while also alleviating signs and symptoms. Cardiovascular (heart) work-ups, physical therapy, pain treatment, and psychiatric follow-up if needed are the key parts of care. Surgery is occasionally advised for persons with EDS for a variety of reasons. However, depending on the kind of EDS and its severity, an increased risk of surgical complications such as wound healing issues, excessive bleeding, dissection, and hernias may be present

References:
    Edhlers-Danlos ESD types. (n.d.). Ehlers-Danlos.Com. https://www.ehlers-danlos.com/eds-types/

M.I.C.C.E.G. (2020, December 20). Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome: Immunologic contrasts and connective tissue comparisons. National Library Of Medicine. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33437956/

Ana Underwood

Comments are closed.