One response to ““I GO WHERE THE HEART TAKES ME!” Cardiovascular System”

1. Cynthia Bridgers Avatar
    Cynthia Bridgers

Before I begin the abstract for Dianna’s project, I would like to say that she has done a great job in her portrayal of the structure and function of the heart as well as the pathway that the blood takes in the circulatory system.

Via multiple diagrams of the human heart, the pathways through which deoxygenated and oxygenated blood travels through the cardiac system are demonstrated via the use of the “2023 Carbon Dioxide Edition” and “2023 Oxygen Edition” cars representative of these blood forms. Highlighting the multiple areas of the heart in chronological order from which the blue erythromobile will travel through; right atrium, tricuspid valve, right ventricle, pulmonary valve, and then the pulmonary arteries. Once through the heart, this car heads to the car dealership —the lungs. It is demonstrated how gas exchange occurs much like trading in a new car; the blue Erythromobile is traded in (diffused through lung tissue- alveoli), for a new red Erythromobile (oxygen is diffused through the alveoli into the blood). This new car then heads back to the heart as well as through it; pulmonary veins, left atrium, mitral valve, left ventricle, and then the aorta which will then be driven throughout the body.

(Word count 158)

I GO WHERE THE HEART TAKES ME!

The objectives that I will be focusing on is to know the path of blood through the heart and circulatory system, explain the structure and function of the heart. We studied the heart and how proper circulation of blood is important for tissue throughout the body and the importance of the four valves in the heart and their impact it can have on blood flow to the body. Cardiology is a subject that really fascinates me and knowing close friends and family members that have a type of heart disease really made me want to understand a bit further. I wanted to focus more specifically on Heart Valve Disease and how this can affect the flow of blood and other illnesses throughout the body. For my art piece I will be drawing a cartoon and presenting via slide describing the passageway of blood through the heart/body and on the side write an explanation on what the function of each part is and its importance for blood to be able to travel through the heart and get to designated parts in the body.

The flow of blood is extremely important because it is like a one way highway making sure that all deoxygenated blood goes away form the body to the lungs and from the lungs oxygenated blood is transported back to the heart and pumped to the rest of the body. Valves are extremely important because they prevent blood from flowing backwards and when working properly will only open one way. Valves will only open with the current of blood which will occur when there is a difference in pressure and the contraction of the heart.

There are many different types of heart disease, in just the US about 2.5% of the population has some type of valvular heart disease (Iung,2011). Heart Valve disease is when a valve does not work properly and the heart has to work harder to be able to pump blood and have proper circulation throughout the body. There are four valves in the heart: aortic valve, pulmonary valve, tricuspid valve and mitral valve. When looking at Valve disease here are two types of  conditions that are seen more: Stenosis, which occurs when the valve stiffens or thickens and prevents the valve from properly opening and then there is Regurgitation which occurs when the valve does not close properly and causes some of the blood to flow backwards (Iung et al., 2011).  The valves that are affected the most is the aortic valve (three flaps) which pumps blood from the left ventricle to the aorta and the mitral valve (two flaps) which pumps blood from the left atrium to the left ventricle. 

Heart Valve disease is mostly seen in older adults, which can occur for many different reasons. Some of the leading factors for affecting the heart valves is infection in the blood, strep throat that goes untreated or congenital heart valve disease, this is diagnosed at birth and treated immediately (CDC, 2019). Although these are some of the leading factors there are more heart diseases that can lead to a Valve disease as a secondary effect. Some of the symptoms that are generally a concerning red flag that there may be a heart related issue is when there is an irregular heart beat, a murmuring sound, chest pain, shortness of breath, dizziness or fainting and fatigue (UTS, 2023). Some tests that are done to properly diagnose the disorder is typically getting an X-Ray, Echocardiogram or Cardiac MRI. Depending on the diagnoses will lead to treatment options, which generally leads to replacing or repairing the valve surgically or a more less invasive option, percutaneously (through a needle) (UTS,2023). Not treating a Heart Valve disease can lead to much more serious symptoms like heart failure, sudden cardiac arrest and even death. Not every person will be the same and the reason for the disease can vary on preexisting conditions or other diseases having effects on the heart. 

References

1. Iung B, Vahanian A. Epidemiology of valvular heart disease in the adult. Nat Rev Cardiol. 2011 Mar;8(3):162-72. doi: 10.1038/nrcardio.2010.202. Epub 2011 Jan 25. PMID: 21263455.
  2.  Misra A.,  Desai A.S.,  Valente A.M,.Valvular Regurgitation in Adults with Congenital Heart Disease and Heart Failure: Current Status and Potential Interventions, Heart Failure Clinics, 2023, ISSN 1551-7136,
  3. Mrsic Z, Hopkins SP, Antevil JL, Mullenix PS. Valvular Heart Disease. Prim Care. 2018 Mar;45(1):81-94. doi: 10.1016/j.pop.2017.10.002. Epub 2017 Dec 27. PMID: 29406946.
  4. “Heart Valve Disorders”. UT Southwestern Medical Center. 2023 https://utswmed.org/conditions-treatments/heart-valve-disorders/#:~:text=Mitral%20valve%20prolapse%3A%20The%20most,t%20open%20and%20close%20properly
  5. “Valvular Heart Disease”. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. 2019 https://www.cdc.gov/heartdisease/valvular_disease.htm#:~:text=Facts%20About%20Valvular%20Heart%20Disease,1943%20have%20valvular%20heart%20disease

One Comment

1. Before I begin the abstract for Dianna’s project, I would like to say that she has done a great job in her portrayal of the structure and function of the heart as well as the pathway that the blood takes in the circulatory system.

Via multiple diagrams of the human heart, the pathways through which deoxygenated and oxygenated blood travels through the cardiac system are demonstrated via the use of the “2023 Carbon Dioxide Edition” and “2023 Oxygen Edition” cars representative of these blood forms. Highlighting the multiple areas of the heart in chronological order from which the blue erythromobile will travel through; right atrium, tricuspid valve, right ventricle, pulmonary valve, and then the pulmonary arteries. Once through the heart, this car heads to the car dealership —the lungs. It is demonstrated how gas exchange occurs much like trading in a new car; the blue Erythromobile is traded in (diffused through lung tissue- alveoli), for a new red Erythromobile (oxygen is diffused through the alveoli into the blood). This new car then heads back to the heart as well as through it; pulmonary veins, left atrium, mitral valve, left ventricle, and then the aorta which will then be driven throughout the body.

(Word count 158)

Cynthia Bridgers

Comments are closed.