Snake venom at the NMJ

For my project I focused on two different types of snake venom toxin (alpha and beta neurotoxins) that target the neuromuscular junction. Both of these toxins interfere with the process of muscle contraction, so the objective I’m addressing here is “Describe how a muscle contraction is induced”. Because my art …

Prosopagnosia

Prosopagnosia, also known as ‘face blindness’ refers to the neurological condition in which those affected suffer a severe deficit in recognising familiar people from their face and rely on voices or distinct features such as hairstyle or clothing to recognise people. Alongside the inability to recognise faces, many people also …

Osteonecrosis of the Femoral Head

Osteonecrosis, also known as avascular necrosis (AVN), aseptic necrosis or ischemic bone necrosis is a disease that can result in the death of bone cells. There are subsequent structural changes that lead to the femoral head collapse, secondary hip joint osteoarthritis which finally results in hip dysfunction. AVN is …

STEAM Project

For my STEAM project, I just did a charcoal/chalk drawing of how a “normal” knee looks versus how a knee with a torn meniscus looks. I thought this would be a good idea because I have torn my meniscus before so it gave me an opportunity to find out more …

Parkinson’s

The basal ganglia is the part of the brain that controls motor control for the body, as well as motor learning, executive functions and behaviors, and emotions. Such as walking and using extremities, it also helps with emotions like anxiety and depression. The basal ganglia is made up of a …