For my project I chose to focus on the objective: know the octet rule for bonds. I made a digital flipbook that demonstrates how the octet rule for bonds works for both covalent and ionic bonds, and also how hydrogen bonds work. It is in a video on YouTube. Here’s the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bK_tR2f-LWY

One Comment

1. This project describes the octet rule for bonds and shows how it can work in ionic and covalent bonds, as well as describes hydrogen bonding through a digital flipbook. Atoms have protons, neutrons, and electrons. Electrons orbit the nucleus in shells; from the nucleus each shell can hold 2, 8, 18 and so on. When the outermost shell is filled with electrons it is considered stable. According to the octet rule, atoms will give, take, or share electrons to fill the last shell and become stable. In Ionic bonds, electrons are permanently transferred from one atom to another so that both can become stabilized. The atom that gains an electron develops a negative charge, and the one that gives an electron develops a positive charge. Ionic bonds are formed as both these atoms are attracted to each other because of opposite charges. Covalent bonds are formed by sharing of electrons pairs, so the atoms become stable. In hydrogen bonds, a positively charged hydrogen atom is attracted to a negatively charged atom in another molecule. Ex: Water molecules.
    -Lakshmi Shalini Datla

Lakshmi Shalini Datla

Comments are closed.