My project was on scoliosis. In this art piece, you can see how scoliosis affects the body whether it is from how the rib cage is different from one that doesn’t have scoliosis, the curvature of the spine, and this curvature of the spin also shows how the body would mold around it as the body looks to be slanted. There are more parts of the body that are affected besides the three parts I just mentioned such as the pelvic and the shoulder blades but those are not in this art piece because I wanted to show scoliosis in a simple manner such as all the other projects did for their topics. I hope you all like simple art pieces.

One Comment

1. This project explored different types of scoliosis relating to the abnormal shape of the spine as well as the effects it can have on the individual diagnosed with this condition. The four types of scoliosis are thoracic, thoracolumbar, lumbar, and double curve. This project appears to primarily explore the objective of “know the parts of the bone and their shape” (or even “know the list of bones” since we look at the shape of the specific regions of the spine). Thoracic scoliosis occurs when there is a sideways curvature of the spine in the thoracic vertebrae, but then straightens out (the type of scoliosis shown in the art shown above). Thoracolumbar scoliosis occurs when the sideways curvature of the spine is located at the lower-thoracic and upper-lumbar spine, creating one large curve along the length of the spine. Lumbar scoliosis is the sideways curvature of the spine in the lumbar region of the spine. Lastly, double curve scoliosis is when the spine takes an s shape having two curves in different directions at the thoracic and lumbar regions. Scoliosis can occur in both children and adults and can result in symptoms such as exhaustion, shortness of breath, as well as numbness, weakness, or pain in the legs etc. If caught early on, most scoliosis cases can be treated without surgery, however, if the degree of curvature in the spine becomes too great, surgery may be required (this includes spinal fusion surgery, expanding rod surgery, and vertebral body tethering surgery).

Rilee White

Comments are closed.