For my project I compared and contrasted this different sensory cells and also compared them to the sensory cells we have within our teeth.

5 Comments

1. Tiffany did a great job of making a visual representation of the sensory cells in our teeth. This project had me looking more into our teeth and how they function. “The tooth is an amazing sensory organ. The outside of the tooth, the enamel, is the hardest tissue in the human body. The enamel surrounds another layer of the tooth called the dentin. The tooth pulp lies in the middle of the tooth. The pulp contains blood vessels, nerve fibers, and other connective tissue. Although the pulp has several functions, including the formation of dentin, the sensory function of teeth is quite interesting (Neuroscience For Kids).” We all know that when we have a toothache or worn down enamel, chewing, and drinking, whether it be hot or cold, can be painful. This really just shows in-depth those sensory cells that cause the pain. In another way, we tell our brain to chew, and the brain sends a message to our muscles to perform voluntary movements called mastication. All of the functions of the body and how each muscle and sensory cell speaks to each other has been really fascinating to me. It’s these movements that we do all of the time that we don’t really even have to actually think about that I think we sometimes take for granted. Tiffany, thank you for doing such a good job on this project, it really is cool to see something we don’t get to see with the naked eye.

Neuroscience For Kids. (n.d.). Retrieved November 29, 2020, from https://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/tooth.html

Morgan Johnson
  2. In Tiffany’s project I’ve learned the difference of functions and the relations between different muscles and the importance of the Enamel. Tiffany did such a good job on her visual representation. Reading what Morgan had put down sounds like you did a really good job on your research; about the functions and the movement of the teeth. Just like what Morgan had said, was that everything that you had researched was very interesting and very informative. I really like how Tiffany informed us about the facts that the functions of the teeth aren’t just chewing on food it’s more than that; It’s a whole system that we can’t see. Like what Morgan had quoted from Tiffany’s essay was “The tooth is an amazing sensory organ. The outside of the tooth, the enamel, is the hardest tissue in the human body. The enamel surrounds another layer of the tooth called the dentin. The tooth pulp lies in the middle of the tooth. The pulp contains blood vessels, nerve fibers, and other connective tissue. Although the pulp has several functions, including the formation of dentin, the sensory function of teeth is quite interesting (Neuroscience For Kids).” Understanding the importance of this type of organ has a very vital role. What I mean by that, there’s reasons why some people are more sensitive to pain in their teeth when they consume really cold water or ice cream. Understanding that muscles can communicate with the sensory cells in the teeth is really fascinating to think about. Thank you Tiffany, for such an informative project, I’ve learned so much about the importance of our teeth.

Sierra Mitchell

Comments are closed.