Congestive Heart Failure

My STEAM project focuses on Congestive Heart Failure in comparison to a “healthy” heart from the cardiovascular and circulatory system unit. Congestive Heart Failure occurs when fluid surrounds the heart in which the heart can no longer pump enough blood to meet the body’s needs. My illustration highlights a happy heart and symptoms alike on the top half of the poster, and a heart experiencing CHF with enlarged and stretched heart muscles towards the bottom portion of poster.

3 Comments

1. I was having a hard time posting just the picture but allowed me to attach it through the link above titled “Congestive Heart Failure.”

Cristina Bussell
  2. In her project, Cristina writes about the ways to maintain a healthy heart and contributing factors of congestive heart failure. In order to have and maintain a healthy heart, it’s important to sustain a healthy diet, exercise daily, being mindful of cholesterol, blood pressure and other internal factors, including managing stress, not smoking and only consuming alcohol in moderation. She also touches on non-dietary factors and more on lifestyle factors such as laughing, dancing, having fun, listening to music and having a sense of community. All of these things are immensely important and contribute to having a health heart and maintaining the longevity of that health.
    The heat is a muscle and needs to be adequately worked in order to be kept healthy. If the individual fails to do so, congestive heart failure may be developed over time. Symptoms of congestive heart failure include shortness of breath, edema in the legs, ankles and feet, fatigue and general malaise, arrhythmias, decreased cardiac output, fluid retention, coughing or wheezing, decreased appetite, nausea, headaches, chest pain and angina. All of these symptoms can be indicative of congestive heart failure and can lead to a decrease in quality of life. It’s very important to maintain a healthy diet and lifestyle so heart disease does not occur. Heart disease can be managed with surgical intervention and medication with great success, but it can also be reversed with a radical and drastic change to the individuals’ diet and lifestyle factors. Exercising a minimum of 30 minutes a day, eating a diet that is rich in plant -based foods, fruits and vegetables, drinking plenty of water, and limiting the amount of sodium intake. All of these factors can lead to a heart healthy life!

Alyssa Sagorsky

Comments are closed.