Areas that the pork worm will settle in the brain.
The parasite’s larval cysts will travel from the stomach to the brain via the vascular system.

One Comment

1. This is a very interesting topic and I’m so glad I was paired to peer review this! First off, I think the drawings are great. They do a wonderful job explaining the effects of Taenia Solium on the body. Since Taenia Solium causes neurocysticercosis, and is also known as the pork tapeworm, I thought it was very creative to draw the pigs and locate the different areas of the brain that were affected and how they were affected. To sum up this project, some key points I would reiterate are: this tapeworm can be spread from poor personal hygiene and by consuming contaminated food, neurocysticercosis is the leading cause of epilepsy and seizure, this disease can be present in the body for years without being detected, the only way to detect this disease is with the use of magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), and depending on the patient some might not show any symptoms whereas others could show symptoms of headaches, seizures, increased intracranial pressure, blurry or loss of vision, hydrocephalus, involuntary movements, and speech disruptions. Neurocysticerosis can be differentiated into 4 categories. The most common category is the subarachnoid-cisternal which involves the subarachnoid and the meninges. The next most common is parenchyma which affects the gray-white matter junction. Following that is the intraventricular which is mainly found in the fourth ventricle. And the final category is spinal forms which affects the subarachnoid spine. Overall I’m really impressed with this project and your write up, and I am so glad I learned something from this! Thank you

kjkollmansberger