Instances when Oxytocin has the Highest Release in the Female body and its Involvement in the Stages of Birth/Lactation

My STEAM project is on the hormone oxytocin. My objective is to relate the hormone to its involvement in the stages of birth and lactation through contractions, along with its strong release during sexual arousal. For my visual, I created a poster displaying how the hormone is produced in the …

EMPHYSEMA

My project is covering emphysema, a respiratory condition. Emphysema is a type of Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease ( COPD), which causes the pulmonary capillaries to get irreversibly damaged. This disease is a pathological condition. This disease is a result of people with a history of smoking. There are two types …

Klatskin Tumor

Our liver is one of the largest organs in our body.  The liver plays a central role in all metabolic processes in the body.  Blood flows from the digestive organs through the portal vein to the liver carrying nutrients, waste, and toxic substances.  Once they reach the liver, they are …

Dendritic cells

When I start learning more about dendritic cells, I couldn’t help but think about them like they are honorable knights that are running around in our body, monitoring the tissues, battling pathogens and heading to the lymph nodes to present potential dangers to the lymph node residents. Their population is …

How Human Immunodeficiency Virus Replicates in the Body

My STEAM project depicts how HIV replicates in the body.  This relates to the objectives:  29. Explain the role of the lymphatic system in the immune response  30. Identify the key structures of the lymphatic system 31. Relate how the lymphatic system can indicate disease Human Immunodeficiency Virus or HIV …

Parasitic Infections That Affect the Lungs

Malaria Malaria, which is most commonly spread by mosquitoes in underdeveloped countries, can be a fatal parasitic disease. After being bit by a mosquito carrying malaria, the parasites then travel to your liver where they lie dormant. The parasites usually remain dormant for about ten days, but can remain dormant …

The effect of coronary artery disease on the structure and function of the heart

Coronary artery disease is the most common heart disease in the United States and is one of the leading causes of death in both developed and undeveloped countries. It’s important to understand how such a deadly disease affects the function and structure of the heart. The objective that I will …