For my STEAM project I wanted to look further into the process of how birth control prevents pregnancy from occuring. Most forms of hormonal birth control restrict the release of the female egg. I compared this process to the ways in which a spy would detonate a bomb. In this metaphor the release of the female egg from the ovary is the bomb, it is a matter of time before it is released. It is the hormones jobs, estrogen and progesterone, to enter the female’s body and ensure that the bomb, or the female’s egg is not released. I created an informational poster that explains the different types of hormonal birth control available, as well as how they are used.

2 Comments

1. “Hormonal Espionage” is a poster project which compares the types of birth control, likening it to a spy (the birth control) diffusing a bomb (the female egg). The project is written with clear, easy to read descriptions and likens the format of a poster which you may see on the wall of a doctors’ office to pass critical information. This poster displays six types of birth control (the pill, IUD, Vaginal Ring, Depo Provera, Implanted Hormone, and the patch) and gives information on how each one works to prevent pregnancy. An IUD is a small device that is inserted inside the female reproductive system and releases the hormone progesterone which thickens cervical mucus, making is near impossible for male sperm to reach the fallopian tubes and fertilize a female egg. The oral pill contraceptive works by releasing the hormones estrogen and progestin which prevent ovulation. The vaginal ring type of contraceptive as well as the patch work in a similar fashion to the pill by releasing estrogen and progestin to prevent ovulation. The vaginal ring is inserted into the vagina while the patch attaches directly to the skin. Depo Provera is an injection of the hormone progestin which prevents pregnancy by both thickening cervical mucus and preventing ovulation. Similarly, the implanted hormone releases progestin to thicken cervical mucus and prevent ovulation; this option, however, is implanted under the skin and lasts for approximately 3 years. Overall, this poster presentation was clear and concise and included needed information which would assist a woman in deciding the best form of birth control for her. I also loved the idea of comparing birth control to a spy diffusing a bomb, I thought that was quite a clever image.

Kelly DeAngelis
  2. Kennedy’s project is a poster that details the various types of birth controls that exist. These birth controls are different from one another but they are all designed to complete one goal, which is to prevent ovulation which is the stage in reproduction when the egg is released. The way in which these birth controls regulate ovulation is by utilizing hormones such as estrogen and progestin to stop the egg from being released in ovulation. For types of birth control there is the IUD, the pill, the vaginal ring, the depo provera, implanted hormone and the patch. These methods as I’ve mentioned all utilize hormones to prevent ovulation but they also thicken the cervical mucus as well. With the cervical mucus being thicker than it normally is, any sperm will have a harder or more difficult time trying to attach to the egg, so this thickening of the cervical mucus is like a second line of defense if any of the birth control methods fail to prevent ovulation. The poster itself is also set up well and it is easy to read the information and understand the poster. Overall the poster is very good and perfectly summarizes the information about the various birth control that exist and how they prevent pregnancy by regulating ovulation.

Dustin Kelly

Comments are closed.