One Comment

1. This project illustrates the effects of lung cancer. The lungs are responsible for circulating oxygen and carbon dioxide in and out of the body during respiration. There are two kinds of lung cancer. These are non-small cell and small cell lung cancer. There are three subgroups of non-small cell lung cancer, which is also the most common. These are adenocarcinoma, squamous cell carcinoma, and large cell carcinoma. Small cell lung cancer is more aggressive and fast growing. The different types of cancer are most easily distinguished by looking at the cell types under a microscope. Eventually lung cancer causes tumors that can cause blockages that restrict airflow. Some symptoms include breathing issues, tiredness, and weight loss. This disease was illustrated using different colored flowers in a normal lung versus a cancerous lung. Something about this project that I found especially interesting was that lung cancer is the leading cause of cancer death. It made me wonder how much of that statistic was influenced by lifestyle habits such as smoking, which was and is common. I really like how this project was presented. The brightly colored flowers represent a healthy lung, and the muted colored flowers represent a lung with lung cancer. I like how it suggests that any normal set of lungs can “wilt.” The muted gray color is also appropriate given that smoking is one of the most common causes of lung cancer. This is important given that lifestyle habits play a big role in a person’s cancer risk. This was a great non-literal interpretation of cancer.

Helen Boone

Comments are closed.