Benefits of the Skull

The objective that I am covering for this STEAM project is “Know the parts of the bone and their shape.” Cranium is the protective shell, that protects the brain.  It consists of 22 bones. The lower jaw (mandible) of the skull is the only part of the cranium that has motion. The cranium is divided into two sections, the braincase is located on top of the head and the facial bones are located at the front of the face. Starting at the nasal cavity and eyeball.

On the inside of the skull, the brain is divided into three. The Anterior cranial fossa, middle cranial fossa and posterior cranial fossa.

The Frontal bone of the skull is located at the forehead. The frontal bone consists of six different parts. The squamous, zygomatic, orbital plates, and nasal parts. Squamous has two parts an external and internal surface. For Example, The Forehead is an external part of the skull.

The ethmoid bone is a singular bone that is in the midline area that forms the mid-region of the skull. The ethmoid bone has a perpendicular plate. The ethmoid bone has two parts.

The maxillary bone help to fully form the jaw. A maxillary bone is the upper half of the jaw. The lower and upper jaw; the lower jaw is the part that has motion. The zygomatic process is located at the check. The upper jaw is made up of the zygomatic process, alveolar process, and infraorbital foramen that articulates with the frontal bones. These are a few of the bones that mold the cranium together.

The perpendicular plate of the ethmoid bone forms the upper portion of the septum. As seen only a small portion of the inferior septum of the skull can only be visible inside of the nasal open, located between the perpendicular plates of them it’s the mode, and will more bones the spectral cartilage forms an interior nasal septum.

The Hyoid bond has no contact between the hyoid bone and any other bone in the cranium which has the only independent born inside the skull. The Hyoid bone has a small U-shape located under the neck’s inferior mandible. The hyoid bone is also known as a base for our tongues. It is mostly used when speaking or swallowing occurs.

The is made up of 22 bones that are connected using sutures. The cranium is divided in two. The braincase protects the brain and facial bone. That provides proper bone structure. The brane case has eight bones. The frontal bone, ethmoid bone, sphenoid bone, two parietal bones, temporal bones, and the occipital bone. The bones are separated by the cracks you see which are called sutures The skull bones are divided separately but held together. The lower jaw is the one and only part of the cranium that has motion. When someone speaks or reads the lower jawbone working with the muscle is the only way that the bones have motion. Even though it looks like I think we want uranium you probably can get

Types of Bones – Anatomy and Physiology. OpenStax. (n.d.). Retrieved July 7, 2022, from https://openstax.org/books/anatomy-and-physiology/pages/7-2-the-skull

Skeleton – Anatomy and Physiology. OpenStax. (n.d.). Retrieved July 7, 2022, from https://openstax.org/books/anatomy-and-physiology/pages/7-1-divisions-of-the-skeletal-system

References

Grupe, G. (1987). Biomechanics of the skull base. Advances in Anatomy, Embryology and Cell Biology, Vol. 94 B. Demes. Zeitschrift Für Morphologie Und Anthropologie77(2), 203.

References

Muzio, J. N. (2016). Adventures in human being: a grand tour from the cranium to the calcaneum. Choice: Current Reviews for Academic Libraries53(8), 1196. https://doi-org.uaf.idm.oclc.org/10.5860/CHOICE.195032

One Comment

1. I wanted to thank you for sharing your artwork with us. You certainly did well at illustrating parts of the skull and specific bone features. The skull, in particular, has always been intriguing to me. I remember going to my father-in-law’s appointments with him when he had brain cancer and seeing depictions of the skull, where the disease can spread, and learning about how sensitive that region of the body was.I also remember listening to oncologists use specific terms and names of regions that are most affected by brain cancer. Because of how sad the situation was, I kind of tuned it all out. Now that it’s been a couple of years since succumbing to the disease, the emotions of it all have faded and I have gained a new appreciation for the cranium and human biology as a whole. That being said, your work on the topic of bone structure and protective barriers of the cranium has taught me a lot. Specifically, your illustration of the cranium gave me a first-hand perspective of certain bones that protect the brain. I didn’t know that some of our skull bones were designed to protect the brain. Also, I appreciated your demonstration of each bone that you drew, such as the hyoid and maxillary bone. The mustache was a nice touch! It is so neat that the hyoid bone is the only bone in the human body that doesn’t make contact with another bone. This is a reminder of how complex and intricate human biology really is….Nice job!

Monique Carter

Comments are closed.