One Comment

1. Samantha did a wonderful job explaining the malunion of bone, also known as malunion fractures. In my previous work I have heard about these kinds of fractures, and I’ve always wanted to know more. She explains very clearly that the malunion of a bone or a malunion fracture is what happens when a fracture heals but not correctly. When this happens, new bone tissue has grown in the wrong place complications can occur. This turns everything into a bigger problem because the only way to fix this is surgery. These deformities are nonexclusive and can and often will happen in the same injury. If the malunion fracture occurs in a joint, the surface of the joint can be displaced, and the cartilage is no longer smooth. When we think the problems are over… first comes excruciating pain, joint degeneration, arthritis, which can lead to impaired function of the bone or limb, and it will always and forever have a bent look. Regardless of the location of the malunion fracture, pain and swelling around the fracture will be present and the surrounding tissue can be extremely sensitive to weight and movement. In general, if the malunion occurs in a joint, the joint affected will be very painful and stiff, due to the presence of new bone tissue in an incorrect place and the initial injury. Surgery is required to fix a malunion fracture, with the goal to realign the fractured bone and to remove any excess bone growth. After the bone has been cut and moved back into place, some type of hardware is needed to keep the bone in the correct position during the healing process. Great Job Samantha!!

Tamera Captain

Comments are closed.