I did my project on periodontitis (gum disease). With periodontitis, bacteria builds up and infects the gum tissues. The tissues involved with the gums are epithelial stratified squamous and connective proper dense. Some symptoms of periodontitis include bleeding gums, swollen gums, receding gums, bad breath, and in worsening cases tooth loss. Tooth loss with periodontitis can affect the alveolar bone, which can result in mass loss in the bone and difficulties with jaw functions. 

For my medium, I created a memory game which shows some of the different symptoms of periodontitis. I liked the idea of a memory game since it is a fun and hands-on way to learn about this disease. 

One Comment

1. Periodontitis makes up the most amount of gum disease cases. Periodontitis characterizes the build-up of bacteria on the gums. When periodontitis occurs, it leads to swelling, bleeding, and receding gums. Additional symptoms include bad breath, toothache, and eventually tooth loss if the condition is left untreated. The tissues involved with gums include stratified squamous and dense proper. This denotes the gum’s ability to offer protection and structural strength to the teeth. When tooth loss occurs from severe periodontitis, alveolar bone damage can transpire. The damage includes the loss of bone or function. To illustrate and teach these symptoms of periodontitis, a memory game was created. It constitutes twelve cards with the symptoms previously mentioned; two of each are parallels of each other. The game aims to replicate the familiar child’s game that stimulates cognitive functions in toddlers and children. The game also offers an entertaining way to learn about periodontitis and its symptoms, leading to improved curriculum retention.

(Great job!)

Chloe Chapin

Comments are closed.