https://studio.youtube.com/video/MfbcUr05bbE/

This is the link to my STEAM Project video, really briefly explaining the effects of lactose intolerance! (My essay is much more detailed on why these side effects actually happen, etc.) It’s so amazing to me how our bodies are made to heal themselves, even though diseases do come. Well, hope you enjoy! 😀

One Comment

1. Sierra’s STEAM project focused on the effects of lactose intolerance on the body’s normal digestion. This excellently made video demonstrates the path of food (in this case, milk) being ingested and passed through the digestive tract, and what happens in a digestive system of someone who is lactose intolerant. Lactose intolerance is something that effects so many people today, and yet not many people understand it, other than “if I consume dairy, x, y, and z happens.” Sierra did a great job explaining the three different types of lactose intolerance: congenital lactase deficiency, primary lactase deficiency, and secondary lactase deficiency. Congenital lactase deficiency is rare and is caused by the absence of lactase activity from birth. Primary lactase deficiency is the most common type of lactose intolerance and is a result of inheriting a gene from your parents which causes your digestive system to stop producing lactase around the ages of 2 or 3. Secondary lactase deficiency is the only form of lactose intolerance that is not as a result of genetic inheritance or a genetic mutation, instead it is triggered by an infection or disease causing damage to the intestines and lowering the production of lactase. I believe it is important for people who have medical conditions of any kind to be thoroughly informed and to understand to the best of their ability the condition that effects their bodies, and this project is a great source of information for those suffering as a result of lactase deficiency.

Allison Maryhugh

Comments are closed.