This project explores what the 4 general tissue types look like after injury and how they repair. I cut out a board to resemble a human forearm then covered it with sheets of fabric and used other materials to illustrate the layers of skin, muscle and nervous tissue. Enjoy this representation of how each tissue layer works together to both heal the body and return it to a homeostatic state. Video explanation in uaf media link. https://media.uaf.edu/media/t/1_xycn7qxn

One Comment

1. Olivia you wrote about the subject tissue repair. The way you wrote the essay was fenomenal, I really liked how you added a scene in which tissue repair was needed. In the essay you explain how tissue will support and work together to make sure that the body will function properly. Tissue repair has four stages, the first being hemostasis which basically is stopping the bleeding. The next stage is inflammation, this stage is meant to keep the tissue safe from bacterial infections. The third stage is angiogenesis. Angiogenesis is the formation of new blood vessels and the expansion of non-immune skin resident cells. The last stage is remodeling, in this stage excess immune skin resident cells and collagen is removed and granulation tissue starts to form into scar tissue. Failure to remove the excess collagen and immune skin resident cells will cause hypertrophic scarring. The granulation tissue is or will be eventually replaced with connective tissue. Depending how deep a wound or laceration is, it could reach the skeletal muscle, which is quite rare to do. When a cut gets that deep the healing process will take so much longer than if it were on the epithelial layer. This is because there is much more to heal if the lacerations makes it to the skeletal muscle. But in comparison to what it is protecting , the bone, it heals quicker because the muscle tissue is very richly vascularized. The satellite cells are very important in this. This is because they are a skeletal muscle stem cell that plays a role in muscle repair. I learned a lot from your project, it was written very well.

dalauna Salmon

Comments are closed.