I did my steam project on the disease rickets and how it effects the different shapes of bones in the body. Predominantly rickets causes long bones in the body to have poor bone growth and bony deformities such as bow-legs (shown in photo), resulting from abnormalities of the growth plate cartilage. You can tell one is bow-legged if they put their feet together with toes pointed straight ahead and the knees do not touch, causing the bone itself to curve in an outward formation.

One Comment

1. I am reviewing Grace’s project on the bone disease rickets. Rickets is a disease of soft or weak bones in children. There are many symptoms including large forehead, stunted growth and bowed legs. Her project shows 3D models of bilateral femurs and tibias that are curved caused by this disease. She describes this curvature as bowed legs, which can be seen when they put their feet together and their feet do not touch.These deformities then cause abornamilites of growth plate cartilage.This is generally caused by vitamin D and calcium deficiency and are treated by replacing these essential vitamins. It is commonly found in children with high melanin and in locations where there isn’t a lot of sunlight (vitamin d) and natural calcium containing foods.
    Grace did a really great job on her project. Even with the simplicity of her project, I think it was well done because I still understand what she was displaying. I also like her project because it was simple and straight to the point. She did a very good job of explaining her project on her post.

Sierra Smith

Comments are closed.