My medium or visual is an acrylic painting of the hip joint, a synovial joint. I choose the hip rather than the knee because of the ball and socket type joint.  The head of the femur articulates with the cup-shaped acetabulum. The joint cavity is enclosed by a fibrous capsule lined with a connective. It produces a fluid called synovial fluid that lubricates the cartilage covered opposing the bone’s surface. The fibrous capsule comprises internal circular fibers and external longitudinal fibers, strengthened by ligaments and muscles protected.

One Comment

1. Faith’s essay organization is amazing and I am now more knowledgeable on the topic than before. I can tell that she worked really hard to perfect her attention to detail on her acrylic painting of the hip joint. I like how she labeled each part of the joint from the cartilage to the synovial membranes. My partner had chosen osteoarthritis of the hip joint to conduct her research for the steam project. Through my partner’s research I had learned that osteoarthritis in the hip is less common than osteoarthritis in the knee. The hip was chosen rather than the knee because of the ball and socket joint. Osteoarthritis, also called degenerative joint disease will show early signs when a person’s bones are deteriorating. This results in less mobility and makes finishing daily tasks much more difficult. Degenerative joint disease is caused by an imbalance between cartilage breakdown and repair. Many risk factors are involved such as; old age, genetics, obesity, and joint injury. Older adults develop degenerative joint disease faster than a younger adult would. Luckily that person can take preventative measures in the matter such as; analgesic medication, periodic rest, weight reduction, corticosteroid injections, physical therapy, or exercise. If the disease is severe surgical procedures such as hip, knee replacement, or joint debridement may relieve pain and improve joint function. Another type of treatment is an injection of hyaluronic acid generally found in the synovial joint fluid, causing the joint to be lubricated. This can help relieve pain and joint stiffness in many individuals with degenerative joint disease.

Yesenia Lande