My submission for the STEAM project about bone cells and bone fractures. -Claire Ketzler

One Comment

1. For this summary I will be focusing more on the information given in the video then in the essay. In the video she started by identifying the four types of cells involved with bone tissue and giving visual representations of each. These cells are; osteogenic cells, osteoblasts, osteoclasts, and osteocytes. She then went on to specify the different functions of each cell. Osteogenic cells can become osteoblasts. Osteoblasts help with bone formation. Osteoclasts break down bone. Osteocytes are the communication cells helping the other cells know hen to do their job. She then goes on to demonstrate a kind of fracture. She talks about the dangers involved if the bone didn’t mend or mended improperly, Then she walks us through the repair process. She talks about the BLANK steps, the first one being the formation of a blood clot which happens in the first 6 to 8 hours makes a fracture hematoma. Next an internal callas is made of fibrocartilage. Then an external callas is formed by the osteoblasts to help protect the fracture. Osteoclasts step in to remove the dead parts of the bone to clean up the fracture. Over the next few weeks osteoblasts create new bone to repair the fracture. In the last step the calluses disappear leaving a repaired bone. Just by the way I loved this project and the dog is such a cute helper!

Tanner Purdy

Comments are closed.