For my STEAM project, I wanted to look at different types of disorders, diseases, and cancers that occur on Chromosome 11. I chose chromosome 11 as I have a mutation on my chromosome 11. I have BWS. It is not a sever case like others but, my right side is larger and longer by two inches and I have two different feet sizes as well.

One Comment

1. Garrett’s project focuses on chromosome issues and their consequences, especially dealing with chromosome 11. He talks about how during mitosis, especially S phase, mutations can occur that can be genetic or from other sources like chemicals. He talks about many disorders that can come from chromosome 11 issues; disorders like charcot marie tooth syndrome, wilms tumor and most specifically beckwith-wiedemann syndrome. He goes into personal detail with beckwith-wiedemann syndrome and how it has personally played a role in his life. This disorder causes parts of the body to be larger than others, leading to body abnormalities. It seems that a lot of the disorders he talks about take place when a person is a child or in infancy. He made a really cool monopoly board that goes over chromosome 11 and its specific disorders, which is a great way to learn about mitosis and chromosomes in a cool, fun way.

Matt Heath