Lymphedema

I did my project on explaining lymphedema and its management options. The objective that I am covering is how the lymphatic system can indicate disease. Lymphedema is a disease that occurs when fluid builds up inside the tissues because of a lymph malfunction. The lymph gets stuck inside the interstitial …

More Common Than You Think: A Quiet Disease Impacting Millions of Women

Do you know what the leading cause of infertility in the United States is? Once it was unheard of, but now it’s becoming a household phrase: polycystic ovary syndrome. The name is exactly how it sounds, an ovary with several (poly) cysts. This hormonal condition affects millions of women of …

Sickle Cell Anemia

Media type: Children’s book Also view using the download option above ^ The course objective I’ve chosen to cover for my STEAM project is on the cardiovascular system, specifically sickle cell anemia. Sickle cell anemia is a genetic disease that causes abnormal red blood cell shape due to the presence …

Antiphospholipid syndrome 

Antiphospholipid syndrome is a type of autoimmune disease that “…is characterized by thrombosis and/or pregnancy complications in the presence of persistent antiphospholipid antibodies…” (Chaturvedi & McCrae, 2017). Thrombosis is where your blood vessels become blocked due to blood clots. The antibodies antiphospholipid syndrome produces attack the phospholipids within your blood. …

Pros and Cons of Early Parasitic Exposure: Toxoplasma Gondii Edition

(Apologies if this uploads and its blurry 🙁 ) This is Pingpong. Pingpong was lucky enough to be exposed to the parasite Toxoplasma Gondii at a young age. It is a parasite meant to infect mice and turn off their instinctual reaction of fear when sensing cats, but has been …

Cardiovascular system; Exploring Heart Valve Disease: Causes, Symptoms, and Management

For my STEAM presentation, I will be focusing the course objectives of  the cardiovascular and circulatory system and expand on those topics into issues that can occur within the heart. Specifically, I will be expanding on heart valve disease and covering the impacts of this disease on blood flow within …