One Comment

1. STEAM PROJECT REVIEW/SUMMARY

The course objective related to the topic is the difference between the female and male pelvic cavity. The project topic itself is about the pelvic floor before and after birth due to how the muscles change the bone structure to adapt to the challenges of pregnancy. One thing I learned from this project and our class is that the pelvic bone is formed by three separate bones fused together, (ilium, ischium, and the pubis). Leah discussed how females have a wider pelvic region and that makes sense. It’s completely logical that the female anatomy would need a larger pelvic area to give birth. A cool concept to me is that muscles are strong enough to stretch bones. Bones are one of the hardest substances in our bodies so to read that our muscles have the capacity to stretch the bones to make room for a child to be born is an interesting concept. Before this project I was also unaware that the uterus would change the orientation of the pelvis. Seeing the difference in the distance between the sacroiliac joints in the art photos was insightful. Being able to visualize the difference between the before and after was eye-opening. I also found pelvic floor disorders fascinating. I cannot believe 60% of women experience one of these disorders. I hear a lot of my friends and even my wife talk about sneezing, coughing, or laughing and accidentally peeing a little bit. All of them have children. It is really nice to learn about why that occurs and how common it is, so no one needs to feel embarrassed. I really enjoyed your project!

Nikki McGraw