One response to “Mitochondrial Oxidative Phosphorylation Dysfunction in Autism”

1. Julia Martynyuk Avatar
    Julia Martynyuk

Jodi Wilt talks in her essay about how problems with mitochondria, the command center for our cells and brain, are connected with Autism. An interesting fact that she mentioned is that Autism is a recently discovered disorder, which is something I did not know. I also thought that she did a great job visually presenting this topic by baking a cake as a Mitochondria. The essay talks about how issues with a process called Oxidative Phosphorylation (OXPHOS) in mitochondria can affect the development of our nerve cells. The essay also talks about the specific brain regions affected by Autism and mentions studies showing a link between mitochondrial dysfunction and Autism. She talks about how the fate of our cells can be influenced by mitochondrial fusion and fission and decides if it’s going to become neurons or stem cells. Her essay explains that these processes affect ATP, which is an essential molecule for cell function and mentions the value of timing in brain development and how problems with mitochondrial membranes can affect autism-related genes. In her conclusion, she writes that research shows promising paths, and there’s still much to learn about Autism.

One Comment

1. Jodi Wilt talks in her essay about how problems with mitochondria, the command center for our cells and brain, are connected with Autism. An interesting fact that she mentioned is that Autism is a recently discovered disorder, which is something I did not know. I also thought that she did a great job visually presenting this topic by baking a cake as a Mitochondria. The essay talks about how issues with a process called Oxidative Phosphorylation (OXPHOS) in mitochondria can affect the development of our nerve cells. The essay also talks about the specific brain regions affected by Autism and mentions studies showing a link between mitochondrial dysfunction and Autism. She talks about how the fate of our cells can be influenced by mitochondrial fusion and fission and decides if it’s going to become neurons or stem cells. Her essay explains that these processes affect ATP, which is an essential molecule for cell function and mentions the value of timing in brain development and how problems with mitochondrial membranes can affect autism-related genes. In her conclusion, she writes that research shows promising paths, and there’s still much to learn about Autism.

Julia Martynyuk

Comments are closed.