My project is on Rheumatoid Arthritis, which is also referred to as RA.

Rheumatoid Arthritis is an autoimmune disease that causes inflammation in the joints found in the human body, such as the joints in the hands, knees, and wrist. Due to RA being an autoimmune disease, this means that the immune system will start to attack the healthy cells in the human body by mistake. In severe cases of RA, it can affect other tissues that are found in the human body such as the lungs, heart, and eyes (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2020.)

Below is my drawing of what a normal and healthy joint looks like (which is displayed on the left) compared to what a joint that is suffering from rheumatoid arthritis (which is displayed on the right.)

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2020, July 27). Rheumatoid arthritis (RA). Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. https://www.cdc.gov/arthritis/basics/rheumatoid-arthritis.html

One Comment

1. The painting that was created for this project is very detailed and provides a good comparison between a healthy joint and a joint of someone with RA. I was unaware that Rheumatoid arthritis could affect the lungs, heart and eyes. This project provided a great definition of an autoimmune disease and a detailed look into rheumatoid arthritis.

Tristan Dellingner

Comments are closed.