Mitochondria and Autism Spectrum Disorder

The objective that I chose to explore is “compare and contrast the organelles and their functions”. We’ve learned a tiny bit about mitochondria in this class.  Basically, these kidney-shaped microscopic organelles are the “energy transformers” of our cells.  More specifically, they turn stored energy into adenosine triphosphate (ATP), which is the …

The Healing process of the Compound Fracture with Metal Plates

The objective of this project I am covering is to classify certain fractures; specifically the compound fracture. I will also talk about the healing process of the bone based on the specific types of metals being used to fix the bone. There are many common types of fractures: compressed, spiral, …

Osteoporosis

I am covering the objective of how bone development is hormonally regulated in primary osteoporosis. The medium I have used is a painting comparing a healthy bone and a bone with osteoporosis. I will also be comparing a human body that has osteoporosis and one that does not.  Osteoporosis is …

Osteoporosis and How Bone Growth is Hormonally Regulated

My STEAM project explains the objective of how bone growth is hormonally regulated and how it relates to the occurrence of osteoporosis. Sex hormones and PTH regulate the activity of osteoblastic and osteoclastic cells (Almeida et al, 2016). Osteoblasts function to produce new bone tissue. Sex hormones and mechanical stress …

Multiple Sclerosis and How Neurons Carry Electrical Charge

The objective I’m covering is how neurons carry electrical charge. I am using Pado trees to represent neurons. Pado trees stretch for miles. A certain area of the forest could be rained on, while others could have sunny weather. However, due to the interconnected roots under the ground, water is …