This project is Ischemic Placental Disease (IPD), taking a look at complications during pregnancy. There are three IPDs mentioned, Pre-Eclampsia, Placental Abruption, and Intrauterine Growth Restriction. Similar to my last STEAM, this is a parody of Fresh Prince of Bel Air. I have included the lyrics so that you can follow along.

Ischemic Placental Disease (Fresh Prince Parody)

Lyrics by Jornie Kinga

Now this is the story all about how a pregnancy can be turned upside down

And I’d like to take a minute so just take a seat 

I’ll tell you all about Ischemic Placental Disease

At about 20 weeks of pregnancy, all is wrecked 

When mom’s blood pressure is higher than she’d expect 

Chillin, all stressed and worried probably a mess

Waiting for the doctor to come in and tell her all the rest

He comes in and says pre-eclampsia 

One version of IPD, oh no the placenta

It’s not placental abruption she thought

Remembering her mom say, “beware of that disease that makes your placenta get a tear”

When the doctor went out she layed back down

And here came the nurse with a paper and not a gown

If anything she thought it would be better

But instead the nurse said doc was wrong it’s IUGR 

She was told IUGR was her baby not growing 

And not to worry this wasn’t the final diagnosing 

Maybe change some habits and please take it easy

And hey who knows, perhaps no IPD

One Comment

1. Ischemic Placental disease covers 3 different complications that can occur during pregnancy, preeclampsia, placental abruptions, and intrauterine growth restriction. Preeclampsia is a dangerous condition that can cause elevated blood pressure, kidney damage and edema in pregnant women. Placental abruptions occur when the placenta separates from the wall of the uterus, decreasing the oxygen and nutrient supply to the fetus. Intrauterine growth restriction occurs when the fetus does not develop adequately in the womb, specifically in size.
    It seems like every time I think I understand the risks of pregnancy, I learn about another complication that keeps me up at night. As a female who has not given birth, I learned a lot about Ischemic placental disease from your song adaptation. In particular, I found Preeclampsia interesting to learn about. We currently have a patient suffering from Pre-eclampsia after childbirth and it was helpful to get additional information in order to better understand it. I knew about the high blood pressure and urine protein testing from working in the lab, but I was unaware of the swelling and edema that occurs.

Cayley Hamilton