One Comment

1. Tatiana King made a beautiful drawing that I see as a woman going through some sort of prepartum disorder. It took me a while to find out what this meant since I was trying my best to think inside the box, but I believe maybe she didn’t speak on what the disorder was because you never know what is going on in someone else’s life. I wanted to do some research on prepartum and postpartum disorders since this sparked an interest. I looked up “prepartum and postpartum disorders” and so many popped up. I read about postpartum PTSD, bipolar disorder, depression, and psychosis as well as prepartum depression, anxiety, psychosis, and more. Tatiana’s quote, “I am scared… But with knowledge comes power.” It made me think about a lot of first-time mothers, mothers who have had miscarriages, stillborn, mothers who had a child that passed away from SIDS, and mothers who had post-partum depression or anxiety due to their hormones dropping, they all are scared. But what this art shows me is that you are allowed to be scared but with knowledge comes power. Knowledge on how to have a child, care for one, what postpartum and prepartum disorders are, and knowledge regarding signs of a miscarriage or more. You gain mental power from this knowledge and knowledge helps you conquer future struggles. Tatiana King’s drawing opened my mind to so much and helped me realize that you never know what someone else is going through even if they seem to be the happiest person in the world. Everything must have the Yin to its Yang to balance each other out.

Taylor Bynum

Comments are closed.