For this project I chose to advertise hormone replacement therapy for postmenopausal women. This projects connects the objective, how bone development is hormonally regulated, to the development of osteoporosis in postmenopausal women. This project sparked a lot of passion for me because I found the concept so wild and felt that treatment for this kind of osteoporosis is not very widely known or talked about.

2 Comments

1. Leah Hetl’s STEAM project was focused on our course objective “explain how bone development is hormonally regulated”. She explored this objective more deeply by researching the interesting topic of hormone replacement therapy for postmenopausal women. Leah’s art piece is a beautiful infogram which advertises hormone replacement therapy. The infogram is very well-organized and easy to follow and understand. Under her first point, “What is the Cause?”, she explains that osteoporosis, as we learned in Unit 4, is a bone disease that is rooted in a drop in estrogen in postmenopausal females. She next answers the question “Is hormone replacement therapy safe?” After reading this part of the infogram, I decided that I would not personally choose this therapy because of the correlation to cancer. I thought it was interesting, though, to read next that hormone replacement therapy is related to decreasing dementia and heart disease. Leah pointed out that simply taking extra calcium supplements is not enough to prevent bone loss; estrogen is needed in order for the body to be able to use the calcium. This information made me reconsider whether or not the cancer risk might be worth the trade-off of stronger bones. My cancer fears prevailed. Leah next made a good point of the inconvenience in how long it takes for broken bones to heal, and that it may be worth talking with your doctor about hormone replacement therapy. The infogram is a good presentation of a way to possibly avoid osteoporosis.

Danielle Witt