I wanted to look at how the depth of a melanoma tumor effects the survival rate of the cancer, with specific regard to which layer of the skin the melanoma tumor was found in. I am sorry for the shadow in my picture, it was the only way I could take a picture of this paper!

The information on melanoma survival rates comes from:

American Cancer Society. (2022). Survival rates for melanoma skin cancer. Retrieved from: https://www.cancer.org/cancer/melanoma-skin-cancer/detection-diagnosis-staging/survival-rates-for-melanoma-skin-cancer-by-stage.html

The information on melanoma staging comes from:

Cancer.net. (2020). Melanoma: Stages. Retrieved from: https://www.cancer.net/cancer-types/melanoma/stages

One Comment

1. The drawing is pretty well detailed, covering melanoma stages. The “melanoma cell color in each frame of the drawing correspond with” the specific average survival rate. The highlighted lymph vessels show the “colorless fluid containing white blood cells, that bathes the tissues and drains through the lymphatic system, into the blood stream and blood vessels.” The lymph vessels are highlighted clearly and show the tissue containing white blood cells are very clear. The epidermis looks avascular and “closed off” from the rest of the tissues. The dermis shows it is “vascularized with small vessels and lymph vessels that make the dermal somewhat connected through transport to the rest of the body.” The color-coded key on the side made it easy to read. The descriptive drawing shows the stages of melanoma; the levels of where the melanoma lies at the epidermis and the depth in each stage and where the tumor starts to affect the lymph vessels, and the blood vessels. The description below the drawings made it easy to see what stage melanoma was at.
    This is a great example of describing tissue in the Integumentary and their function; what can happen when the skin is exposed to the sun resulting in UV radiation exposure. Melanoma is the deadliest skin cancer, as I have heard of a couple of different cases of whom are close. One case the person is still living at 92 years old so far and going strong, was caught in time. Melanoma started or reached stage 0-2, the stage in the beginning-with treatment, not so lucky for the other person who had melanoma being outdoors a lot, and had melanoma all over and it got to either the blood vessel or lymph vessel (stage 3 or 4) and person did not survive at about the early age of 70.

Edith Schliebe

Comments are closed.