An Adaptive Children’s Books Based on the Lifecycle of Macrophages & the bacterium Francisella Tularensis

One Comment

1. I love this book, it’s very interesting and fun. Personally (for me) it was a bit hard to read as I am not used to reading cursive, however I did read it. I love the relationship of the story and the functions of how each of the cells mentioned work. Phil the Phagocyte eating bacteria, original phagocyte function being absorbing bacteria as well as other small cells and particles. Monocytes, although not mentioning what the functions are, function to destroy invaders and facilitate healing and repair. Mac the Macrophage being superior in a way not afraid of viruses, original macrophage function being killing microorganisms, dead cell removal, and stimulating other immune cells. The book mentioned the father cell dying of apoptosis, this is a real and normal death of cell(s). What I liked most was the character Francis Tularensis being the villain in the book. The character plays a similar role in a real disease known as Tularemia, the pathogen being Francisella Tularensis. This disease is passed on commonly through infected insects, commonly a tick or deer fly. One can obtain the disease by touching an infected animal dead or alive, contaminated food or water, or airborne bacteria. The book mentions, “phil was quick to phagocytize,” which is phagocyte ingestion of bacteria or other material. This book was well made, it relates to real life cells and disease. I love that you brought life to these cells such as giving them jobs, competitions, a life.

Bernard Pete

Comments are closed.