My STEAM project is about the tumor growth from VHL- Von Hippel-Lindau disease. Von Hippel-Lindau disease is an extremely rare disease that causes tumors and cysts to grow all over in your body. They can grow on your brain stem and spinal cord, eyes, kidneys, pancreas, adrenal glands, and reproductive tract. These tumors often have multiple periods of tumor growth separated by periods of arrested growth. In some cases, any untreated tumors may remain the same size for several years.

Most of the time the doctors will observe these tumors and only treat them if they start to grow or cause symptoms. In VHL, this is especially important since individuals can have multiple tumors and it is usually not feasible, or even safe, to treat every tumor. When you have VHL the doctors and surgeons usually only treat tumors when they cause symptoms like, headaches, weakness, numbness in limbs and fingers. Here is an art project I did on the tumor growth on the eyes and brain stem. I will show you where the tumors will grow on the brain stem and how they would remove the tumor. Hope you found this as interesting as I did. Thanks

Now here is a short clip on how the s

https://media.uaf.edu/id/1_mnspfi1r

2 Comments

1. Tamera has created a beautiful art piece that depicts tumor growth that is often associated with Von Hippel-Lindau disease (VHL). VHL is a rare inherited disease that is characterized by the formation of tumors and cysts throughout the body. Tumors commonly appear in the brain, spinal cord, eyes, kidneys, pancreas, adrenal glands, and reproductive tract. Although they are generally benign, tumors found on the kidneys and pancreas can become cancerous if not removed. The objective of this piece was to further explore the nervous system and how it’s affected by VHL disease. This art piece shows a hemangioblastoma, a slow-growing tumor of the central nervous system. Symptoms of VHL can vary depending on the size and location of tumor growth. Symptoms often associated with hemangioblastomas include headaches, vomiting, weakness, loss of muscle control, etc. This piece also depicts a hemangioblastoma that can occur near light-sensitive tissues located on the back of the retina. This type of hemangioblastoma, referred to as retinal angiomas can lead to loss of eyesight. Individuals diagnosed with VHL are monitored closely by their health care provider as treatment plans often depend on the location and size of the tumor(s). Generally speaking, VHL is treated before tumors reach a point of causing permanent damage. In some cases, adults suffering from hemangioblastomas can be treated with belzutifan medication. Other treatment includes high-dose radiation and surgery.

Nicole Triplehorn
  2. Tamera has created a very lovely and colorful art piece showing tumor growth associated with Von Hippel-Lindau disease (or VHL), which is a disease that I don’t think I’ve ever heard of before, so that’s interesting. VHL is a rare inherited disease that causes tumors and cysts to grow all over in your body. These tumors are generally benign but can become cancerous if they aren’t removed, depending on where the tumors are found. These tumors and cysts are seen in the brain, spinal cord, eyes, kidney, pancreas, adrenal glands, and reproductive tract. Although generally benign, if the tumors begin to cause symptoms and then treatment is administered. The symptoms vary depending on size of the tumors and location, but can include headaches, general weakness, numbness in extremities, vomiting, etc. Treatment can include certain kinds of medication, high dose radiation, and surgical removal of the tumors.

Samantha Norris

Comments are closed.