My STEAM project shows the difference between healthy gums and teeth vs. teeth and gums with periodontal (gum) disease. When examining these models of teeth on the left side you can tell that the gums are discolored with yellow which resembles plaque build-up. In addition to redness that shows sores and bleeding. And black resembles dead gum tissue. Some of the teeth also are chipped, cracked, or missing they are also discolored due to plaque buildup. While on the right side shows a model of pretty healthy normal teeth and gums. The gums are nice and pink with no abnormalities and the teeth are white with no plaque build-up.

One Comment

1. Cleopatra did a great job with her STEAM project. Her topic was periodontal (gum) disease, which is a serious gum infection that destroys the gums, teeth, and can even destroy the jaw. Periodontal disease starts off more mild and can increase in severity if left untreated. Not only does periodontal disease not look appealing (such as plaque build up, swollen and red gums, missing teeth), it can also be painful such as irritated and inflamed gums. I too did my project on periodontal disease and from what I know Cleopatra did some good research and put time into her project. Now looking at her art piece, which she did a great job with. She created two different clay models; one represents what healthy gums and teeth look like and the other shows what the gums and teeth can look like with periodontal disease. First off, I would like to say that her clay models were done very well and neat. In her post, she goes through her two art pieces and describes what each mark represents; such as the model on the left side has black marks which resembles dead gum tissue. Her art is a great representation of what periodontal disease can look like.

Gaby Falke

Comments are closed.