One Comment

1. Starting off, I never received a description of my partner’s work. But it appears that they are comparing a brain with depression to a brain without depression and a brain with anxiety to a brain without anxiety. Based on past experiences of viewing mental illness in documentaries that would go into the chemical and electrical/blood flow activity of the brain. When looking at the brain without depression there is a reasonable amount of activity primarily located in the occipital, parietal, and a small part of the frontal lobes. When compared to the brain with depression, activity is absent in parts of the brain, most noticeably in the frontal lobe. Now, when comparing a brain that I believe is doing a task, most parts of the brain are active with the only overworked-looking part of the brain being the occipital lobe. When looking at a brain with anxiety, it appears that almost all of the brain is actively overworking which makes sense as a person with anxiety is actively overthinking a subject at hand. Based on all of this information, I believe the objective of this project is to explain how neurons carry an electrical charge. For the brain to remain alive, the body needs to provide it with plenty of nutrients and oxygen-rich blood. This blood flow then rushes more towards active parts of the brain for certain substances, oxygen, and elements to be readily available if the activating neuron needs it. In order to conduct action potential, the brain needs to have Na and K readily available to complete action potential.

Alexandra Brenneis

Comments are closed.