This project talks about the difference and similarities between Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome (CVS) and Cannabis Hyperemesis Syndrome (CHS). Both disorders are debilitating to someone’s life with episodes that can last up to a whole day, if not treated, and can happen up to twelve times a year. To convey how a CVS and CHS patient whose episodes are susceptible to marijuana, I drew a comic. The characters and their interaction with one another depict  how cannabinoids, specifically, cannabinoid receptor type 1 (CB1R) and cannabinoid receptor type 2 (CB2R), react with endogenous ligand, arachidonoylethanolamine (AEA) within a CVS/CHS patient. If you click on the link below, the comic will be displayed.

CamScanner 04-15-2021 12.47

One Comment

1. I found your essay to be informative about cyclic vomiting syndrome (CVS) learning the causes of cyclic vomiting syndrome is like a grocery list with examples of allergies, anxiety, alcohol, cannabis, caffeine and even exercising, the symptoms include abdominal pain, particularly spasms, diarrhea, sensitivity to light, nausea, headaches, dehydration, and gagging. A patient is given IV fluid of different types of medication this includes Zofran and ondansetron which are antiemetics for preventing nausea and vomiting, escitalopram treats depression and anxiety. I found it interesting when he focused on marijuana and how cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome and how it compares to CVS. CVS patients may use cannabis to control nausea, vomiting, and anxiety. I also liked the part where he stated the difference between the two disorders about CVS and CHS, which is cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome. The patients who suffer from CVS have had functional vomiting showed higher amounts of cannabis consumed. I think the part about the two different types of receptors, the receptors in cannabis, cannabinoids, are cannabinoid receptor type 1 (CB1R) and cannabinoid receptor type 2 (CB2R) to be very enlightening and found to have a better understanding in the subject and that many people can treat themselves through hot showers. I also found his analogy to be quite fantastic at explaining his essay even better. In all, it was a very well-done project, and his comic is snazzy.

Faith Hedrick

Comments are closed.