I did my STEAM project on Osteoporosis, and as you can see from the photo I have uploaded, I wanted to draw a comparison between regular bone and bone with Osteoporosis. I included next to the bones a little microscopic view point of what the inside of bone would look like if you were looking through your microscope in a lab. I thought this would be a good idea not only because it made sense for my project, but to show the real picture as to what really would happen to our bones once we develop Osteoporosis.

One Comment

1. After reading Riley’s STEAM project on osteoperosis I was highly impressed with detail she put into educating us about the disease. She gave some truly staggering statistics right off the bat about how 60-70 percent of us are inevitably going to suffer from the condition. This very high rate really opened my eyes to wanting to know more about how I can prevent osteoperosis in myself as well as help others I know that may struggle with it, because the chances clearly show that It is likely I will run in to it at some pint in my life. RIley gave some very good insight on things you can do to prevent the onset of osteopersosis as well. She noted that people should be consuming 1000-1200 miligrams of calcium to promote bone growth every day. She also suggested some common foods that should be limited, like coffee and soft drinks, which I had no idea were even bad for you in regards to osteopersosis. I was also bummed to hear that red meats can also hinder calcium production, because I’m a big fan of steak. Riley also went to the trouble of describing exercises one can do to help strengthen bones, which could be something as simple as standing on one leg to improve balance, or even light weight resistance training using bands. She makes a point that you do not to do any kind of intense exercise that you might think you would, and it is sometimes just as good or better than nothing to do something rather than nothing, as simple as it may be.

John Wolcott

Comments are closed.