Battery Operated

Today advances in modern medicine have brought us many different technologies that can not only help extend the life expectancy of patients but also allow them to live a relatively normal life with a disease that a few decades prior would have been a death sentence. This ranges from new …

Fibromyalgia

Jailah SimsBIO F11XLarsonFibromyalgia For my STEAM project, I have decided to pursue Fibromyalgia. The course object this ties into is “Explain how sensory cells translate a stimulus into an action potential”. My favorite unit this semester has been tissues, so I wanted to research a disease that involves tissues, specifically …

Ankylosing Spondylitis and Bone Mineral Density 

Theresa Huddleston Professor Don Larson  Biology 111 22 July 2024 Correlation of Ankylosing Spondylitis and Bone Mineral Density and Possible Effective Treatments: For my steam project, I chose to explore the bones regarding a disease called Ankylosing Spondylitis (AS). It will cover the objectives of functions of bones as well …

Inflammation of the Frontal Horns of the Lateral Ventricle

Huntington’s Disease: A Triplet Repeat Disorder Introduction:For my STEAM project, I have chosen to explore the components and structures of the nervous system through the lens of Huntington’s Disease (HD). Although the disease has been recognized since the early 1600s, it was formally identified in 1872 by George Huntington (Lanksa …

Pompe Disease: A Lysosome Explosion

Class Objective: Compare and contrast the organelles and their functions Lysosomes are an interesting organelle that are membrane enclosed and essentially function as the garbage disposal system of the cell.  They act to break down and process all kinds of things within the cell including bacteria, viruses and toxins.  To …