2 Comments

1. Maggie wrote about the benefits of breastfeeding and made an extremely clever brochure. Maggie mentions that the human breast milk is considered the premium feeding regime for newborn infants due to the mother providing the best nutrition and health factors. Interesting she mentioned that a newborn babies health and immune development exceeds formula fed babies, with a lower rate of gastrointestinal disease and mortality rates. I learned that breast milk is a source of commensal bacteria, which prevents pathogen adhesion and promotes gut colonization of healthy microbes. She talked about the positive feedback loop that causes lactation. That without the stimulation of suckling, frequent feedings, and short feedings that the mother will have low milk production. She even mentioned benefits to the mother, being bonding with the child and reduced risk of cardiovascular disease, diabetes, and ovarian cancer. She mentioned the longer the mother breastfeeds, the greater the reduction in risk of diseases later on.

David Wheeler
  2. Maggie Zanazzo created a brochure on the benefits of breastfeeding. I learned from her brochure that breastfeeding is powerful because it provides less gastrointestinal issues for babies, and it provides health improvement and immune development. Maggie’s brochure includes that breast milk is a source of commensal bacteria because it can enhance an infants’ health as the breast milk can prevent pathogen adhesion and promote gut colonization of beneficial microbes. What I also took from the brochure is that there has been a significant amount of reduction in infant mortality for those who were given breast milk, which as right now infant mortality stands at 4.5 million in the first year of life and 3 million in the first 28 days. I’ve learned that breast milk truly can make an impact on child survival and development. Maggie’s brochure shows that not only does breastfeeding benefit the baby, but it also benefits the mother as well. The breast milk benefits the mother because there seems to be studies that show a reduction in long-term risk for cardiovascular disease, diabetes, and ovarian and breast cancer. The longer the mother breastfeeds, the longer the risk reduction for these diseases. To add, breastfeeding benefits both the mother and baby as it’s an opportunity for them to bond. Another great piece of information I’ve learned is the lactation stimulus. Maggie’s brochure included that to have a continuous production of breast milk, the breast milk needs to be released as less milk is made if it is not removed from the breast.

Rachel Balete

Comments are closed.