My STEAM project is an overview of Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, and a comparison of a healthy motor neuron and a dead motor neuron as a result of ALS. The class objective that this relates to is “know how a muscle contraction is induced”.

Healthy motor neuron vs. ALS affected motor neuron

2 Comments

1. Courtney Gentry’s STEAM project on the Affects of Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis on Motor Neurons greatly ties with the objective she chose, which was “Know how a muscle contraction is induced.” Her piece thoroughly displays what a healthy motor neuron looks like and what an unhealthy, dying neuron looks like due to Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis. Courtney labels each area and function of a healthy and unhealthy neuron on her drawing. The way she designed her motor neurons helps distinguish each part of the neurons and what is healthy and strong and what is sick and decaying. In her paper, she describes what Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) is and what effects it has on the body, the age this disease is typically identified, and the symptoms an individual would expect to experience due to Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis. She proceeds to discuss how the muscles in our bodies contract and how the motor neurons fire, which ties in with her objective and piece. My favorite part of her paper is when she discusses the research and current solutions for Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis. She goes into great detail about the research that has been conducted so far on ALS, and the current solutions researchers are aiming to achieve despite there not being a cure for Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis. The way Courtney presents her project and her paper shows that she researched her topic thoroughly and wanted her audience to understand ALS and motor neurons. Her paper and project piece was informative and fun, which I enjoyed a lot.

Addison Elsik

Comments are closed.