For my STEAM project, I chose the blood disorder pernicious anemia. Pernicious anemia is a rare blood disorder caused by the body’s inability to utilize vitamin B12 properly. A majority of individuals who develop pernicious anemia are due to a lack of intrinsic factor protein within the stomach. My picture depicts a human stomach with vitamin B12 with no intrinsic factor protein to bind with. Due to the lack of binding with the intrinsic factor protein, vitamin B12 is not able to be absorbed through the small intestine and enter the bloodstream.

My picture depicts a human stomach with vitamin B12 with no intrinsic factor protein to bind with. Due to the lack of binding with the intrinsic factor protein, vitamin B12 is not able to be absorbed through the small intestine and enter the bloodstream.

One Comment

1. My partner did their project on the blood disorder pernicious anemia. The blood disorder pernicious anemia is a disorder of the circulatory system. They made the stomach and small intestine, B12, and intrinsic factor protein out of playdough each part was a different color to easily identify the structures. This project is a really colorful way of showing how B12 and the intrinsic protein work together.
    Pernicious anemia is a rare blood disorder caused by the body’s inability to utilize vitamin B12 properly. A person who experiences this type of anemia usually doesn’t produce the intrinsic protein that the B12 binds with in order to be absorbed through the small intestine and enter the bloodstream.

Madison Reese

Comments are closed.